“A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.” Oscar Wilde

"A man who does not think for himself does not think at all." Oscar Wilde

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

An Anniversary Tribute

It was 20 years ago on this date I stood in the middle of a covered bridge, traffic blocked on either side, with my dad at my side and the woman who changed my life standing next to me. In front of us was a minister performing the ceremony that would bind us together as husband and wife. A unique beginning for very extraordinary life.

My bride to be had been vetted by the government and warned by her future father-in-law that I was somewhat unorthodox and did things that flew in the face of convention. In spite of "full disclosure" she chose to marry me anyway.

I know it hasn't been an easy life for her. Being married to doc who's ideas are somewhat idealistic and whose patriotism has been, at times, a demanding mistress. So many times she has had to face unusual challenges and each time did it without complaint and with the grace of royalty.

In a thousand lifetimes I could never give her all she deserves. A few years ago I wanted to give her something that says I love you and I presented her with the following one Christmas. It is my privilege to share it with you all now.

To My Wife - You Make a Difference

I have watched and listened to you at times when you said felt like you haven't accomplished anything. You look around and see the walls filled with your artwork and wonder if you will ever be recognized for what you do. Let me share some things that you do and have done that have made a difference.

To begin, you raised two daughters both of whom are a source of pride. Not just for you but for the many people they have met over the years. Each in her own way has influenced others to make their lives better. You have a grandson who looks at his grandmother with admiration and love.

For nearly two decades you have been a force that has given me the freedom and the integrity to do things most would have backed away from.

You worked tirelessly to help change lives. To help found and run a clinic for the homeless that has grown into many and touched and changed unknown numbers of lives. You have sat with national leaders who attentively listened to your ideas for immunizing children across the United States.

Behind the scenes you focused your energies to do something few have ever done. Unknown and outside established circles you helped to write a Bill that became a Law and affected thousands.

In a foreign country, unfamiliar with the language and customs, you helped to change a nation. To teach hundreds of people a language, to improve living conditions and help eliminate a deadly disease.to insure others, with less, were able to live just a little better. You did not hesitate to spend what money we had

You have enriched the lives of countless people sitting under the stars, not far from the Grand Canyon, listening to you teach them about nature and history.

Over the past years you have touched the lives of so many with your contributions in art, friendship and caring. You have and continue to brighten the days with things you never realize like your decorations or just a smile and your uncanny ability to just listen and hear what is being said.

And above all the other things you have done and still do, you have made a difference in my life. To inspire me to be the best I can be which I know, at times, takes its toll on you.

My Christmas gift to to you darling is to simply let you know how much you have accomplished and to tell you that you do make a difference. 

And, that I Love You.

To My Wife and My Best Friend ..... Happy Anniversary

No comments:

Post a Comment