“A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.” Oscar Wilde

"A man who does not think for himself does not think at all." Oscar Wilde

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Attention Men ! ! !

During the past three months I've learned a valuable lesson. It is a simple one and something too many guys take for granted. Being a housewife is no easy task.

According to the Unites States Department of Labor, if you had to pay to have all the chores done in a home it would amount to a little over $1,130 per week, or $58,916 a year. And that's is without any children at home. If there are children, up the pay to $2,208 a week or $114,816 per year.

Sometimes it seems the work is never ending. Cleaning and vacuuming, laundry, selecting a menu and shopping, cooking, washing dishes, making the bed, taking care of the cat, taking the trash out and, in general, making sure it is a seamless job.

Should children be added to the task, we need to include child care, being a chauffeur, a recreation coordinator and tutor.

Three months ago my wife was hospitalized for a week and taking care of me became easy. At least for me it did. If I got hungry I'd eat and many times in a restaurant so I didn't have to cook and dirty anything I'd need to clean later. Laundry ... no big deal she had done it before her illness, I had plenty of clean clothes. Make the bed ... why?

Then she came home and for a while was unable to do many of these things. But, she recovered and I was relieved both that she was doing well and that she could once again accomplish things she had always done.

That was short lived. A fall in the garden fractured the orbit of one eye and reconstructive surgery was needed. Suddenly, I became chief cook and bottle washer. We had always shared household chores but this was different. I had the total responsibility for our home. Guys, NEVER take your wife's, girlfriend's or significant other's contribution for granted in your everyday life.

It seems the more I did, the more I realized there was still something else that needed to be done. When is the last time you cleaned your refrigerator? Or changed the sheets on the bed? How about cleaning the toilet? Somehow or other those jobs just seemed to have gotten done and we've never noticed.

Now, I have a greater appreciation of what it takes to make a house a home. A wise person once said: "Love makes a house a home." And now I know it's not just because it's clean and everything is done. It is because it is truly a massive amount of work and it is accomplished not for monetary gain or for accolades, it is simply because your significant other loves you and is happy when they see you are happy.

Once my wife is fully recovered and decides she needs to the things I've so poorly attempted I know the presents I'll give her. Sometime in the future I'll hire a service to come in and do all the household chores for a few days just to give her a break. I'll surprise her with breakfast or dinner out more often. And I'll be more aware about which clothes I wear when I'm doing something I know might stain them.

Just another thought ... should everything go to hell in a hand basket in your relationship ... Don't show her this blog. She might think a good divorce attorney could add back pay for all the years she's been "just a housewife."

No comments:

Post a Comment