“A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.” Oscar Wilde

"A man who does not think for himself does not think at all." Oscar Wilde

Friday, July 9, 2010

Beyond the Eulogies

It seems there are rare occasions when a eulogy is filled with humor rather than remembrances. I suppose I have a warped idea of funerals. Yes, they should be a moment in time to pay tribute to the unwilling guest of honor but I don't think they should be depressing. They should be a celebration of the deceased's life and all they gave to their loved ones and friends.

Perhaps, one of the greatest attributes they could pass along is a sense of humor. For hundreds of years, on both sides of the Atlantic ocean, headstones have recorded such traits. Here are just a few:

Harry Edsel Smith of Albany, New York:
Born 1903 - Died 1942
Looked up the elevator shaft to see if the car was on the way down. 
It was.

In a Thurmont, Maryland cemetery:
Here lies an Atheist
All dressed up
And nowhere to go.

On the grave of Ezekial Aikle in East Dalhousie, Nova Scotia:
Here lies Ezekial Aikle, Age 102
The Good Die Young.

In a Ruidoso, New Mexico cemetery:
Here lies Johnny Yeast
Pardon me
For not rising.

In a Silver City, Nevada cemetery:
Here lays The Kid.
We planted him raw.
He was quick on the trigger.
But slow on the draw.

On a lawyer's tombstone in England:
Sir John Strange
Here lies an honest lawyer,
And that is Strange.

Found in another cemetery in England:
Remember man, as you walk by,
As you are now, so once was I.
Remember this and follow me.
To which some enterprising passer-by replied by writing on the tombstone:
To follow you, I'll not consent.
Until I know which way you went.

And discovered in Key West, Florida, etched into the stone, the simple words:
I told you I was sick.

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment