“A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.” Oscar Wilde

"A man who does not think for himself does not think at all." Oscar Wilde

Friday, April 9, 2010

A Thinking Man's Dilemma

Recently I spoke with a friend in Hawaii who invited me to the islands. I laughing told her it would be a long drive. Then I recalled seeing a map of our 50th state. On the big island of Oahu there are interstate highways. That's when my dilemma began and I once again started thinking.

The prefix 'inter' means between. The word 'interstate' denotes between states. Just what other state do Hawaii's interstate highways connect with?

Taking great pride in being a thinking man I recalled George Carlin's questioning of many things. For example: "Hot water heater. We have a hot water heater. What the hell do you need with that? Hot water doesn't need heating."

One sign that has always given me pause we see everyday on our roads. "Speed Zone Ahead." Perhaps I just have a warped mind but to me that indicates I should stomp the accelerator because it tells me in the zone ahead I can speed.

Think about what you see and hear everyday. Some of the best things to ponder are found in television commercials. How many products have a testimonial where the person says: "It really works!" Just once I'd like to see a real person in an ad that claims: "This isn't worth a damn."

Jack Handey, an American humorist, is best known for his Deep Thoughts.

He said: "Sometimes when I reflect back on all the wine I drink I feel shamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the vineyards and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this wine, they might be out of work and their dreams shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this wine and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my own liver."

Not long ago I was in a supermarket and noticed a promotion on a package. On a bag of chips it claimed: "You could be a winner. No purchase necessary. Details inside." Did that mean I could open the bag there for the details or, just walk out of the store with the bag and not have to pay for it?

I've often wondered about the thinking of a designated driver. Here is a person who truly cares about his or her friends. If I were a designated driver and watched all my friends have fun for hours, laughing at things only the inebriated can appreciate, I would have a fun night too. When I took them home I'd drop them all off at the wrong house.

Being of the age where I remember the 60s well ... at least some of them. I'll stop with this thought. During the 60s so many took acid to make the world look weird. Today, just as many are taking drugs like Prozac to make the world look normal.

Keep thinking you never know what odd and sometimes nagging thoughts may enter your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment