“A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.” Oscar Wilde

"A man who does not think for himself does not think at all." Oscar Wilde

Friday, April 23, 2010

Eclectic Friends

The people I consider my friends are as eclectic as my music collection. They range from functionally literate to true geniuses and from some who are scraping to get by each day to some very wealthy folks.

Their circumstances and social levels may be worlds apart but they all share the same traits. They are independent thinkers. They are compassionate. They are passionate in their beliefs yet, they will listen to someone else's opinion objectively. They are not easily intimidated and they are patriots. Another quality they have in common is their sense of humor.

One such friend, a true genius, was discussing Eastern philosophy and reading Sanskrit (a dead language) with scholars when he became a teenager many years ago. He sent me a few of his thoughts. Admittedly, he wrote, not all are original.

Since the weekend is upon us, I decided to pass a few along for you to ponder when you have nothing else to do.

These are Dave's thoughts:
  • I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I don't know what to feed it.
  • I had amnesia once -- or twice.
  • I went to San Francisco. I found someone's heart.
  • Last week I forgot how to ride a bicycle.
  • If the world were a logical place, men would ride sidesaddle.
  • What is a "free" gift? Aren't all gifts free?
  • They told me I was gullible ... and I believed them.
  • What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  • A flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries.
  • I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.
  • If you're cross-eyed and have dyslexia, can you read alright?
  • If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?
  • Is it my imagination, or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?
  • Finally: Remember a truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment