“A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.” Oscar Wilde

"A man who does not think for himself does not think at all." Oscar Wilde

Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Soldier's Thoughts


 I Am An American Soldier

I am an American Soldier !
Not because I vote or preach
what I want.
Not because I buy items to
Toss and to flaunt.
It is not because I drink
Coca-Cola or eat apple pie.
Not because I’ve played
Baseball or caught a pop fly.
The reason I have rises
above all the rest,
The reason is simple; I have
been put to the test.
I have slept on the ground
And woke up all muddy,
I have cheered with my pals
and cried for my buddies.
I have walked through a
storm of bullets and brass,
And knew the guy next to
me was watching my ass.
I am an American because I
have earned it,
I fought for the flag and
cried as they burned it.
I chose this great life of
 bullets and beans.
The glory and glamour is not
what it seemed.
I will stand up right here
and proudly proclaim
That I am an American,
can you do the same?

The above was written by:  SOT Sancar Steffan Fredsti (Medic), 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division during his deployment in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Let us all remember this day and thank our veterans: active, retired, reserve and national guard. And let us never forget those who are still missing and those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you Larry for sharing my poem. I was in Iraq in 2004 after the first push into Iraq. 2 months after writing the poem I was shot by an enemy sniper, thankfully a slightly cross-eyed one. I am still active duty currently in WA state

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Cousin Steffan! I'm proud to share a last name with you.

    ReplyDelete