“A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.” Oscar Wilde

"A man who does not think for himself does not think at all." Oscar Wilde

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ignorance is Bliss

This morning ABC News aired a special edition of This Week with Christiane Amanpour. It was billed as a Town Hall Meeting. Among the participants were members of various faiths and views from moderate to conservative. In an attempt to maintain balance of the conversation there was also objectivity injected from noted professionals such as a former F.B.I. terrorism expert.

The topic was headlined as: "Holy War, Should Americans Fear Islam?"

In the past One Person's Views has offered thoughts and opinions addressing both the similarities and the differences of various religions and cultures. Many of my writings may not be politically correct, for which I offer no apology, but I do hope they will invoke discussion and give one cause to think.

After watching this program I was reminded of a couple of events. And, like many thinking individuals it seemed one thought led to another. Here are a few of those thoughts.

Sitting with a half a dozen or so people a few weeks ago the topic was religion. Those who read my blog on a regular basis know I am no fan of organized religion. Consequently, I probably did not score high with my comments during this discussion.

One individual made a remark condemning the Muslim faith and all those who ascribe to that belief. I simply asked if he had ever read the Quran and the response was: "No! I don't need to." I pushed a little more and inquired if he knew any Muslims to which he responded: "Hell no, why would I want to?"

At that point I couldn't help but alienate him even more by informing him I had read that book, although admittedly not from cover to cover. The same is true regarding the Bible and the Talmud. I consider them all best sellers and fiction. And, I have been to Afghanistan where the root of extremist beliefs can be found.

In a conversation about what we had just watched, my wife asked me if I could remember seeing any Muslims portrayed in T.V. commercials. I could not. We routinely see all other demographics Perhaps, a subconscious way of saying they are not yet totally considered part of the fabric of America.

How long ago was it when there were no Afro-Americans or blacks depicted in commercials?

America has consistently gone through growing pains. And, various groups, both religious and ethnic, have been targets of discrimination for one reason or another. I can recall when some hotels and country clubs would not admit nor cater to not just blacks but Jews and Catholics too.

They were considered different from "mainstream" America. Much of what "mainstream" America believed was formed because of the radical fringes of these groups. And yes, of ignorance. Today they are embraced as part of our culture. We, as a people, have become more educated yet, we still have a long way to go.

Oh! And what about the assumption by many that folks with certain physical disabilities are also stupid? Physical impairment does not mean there is also a mental impairment. The mind is capable of functioning at a great level even when the physical body can't.

For thousands of years it appears the human race has always feared what it does not understand. Conversely, as understanding grew and we became more knowledgeable those fears were overcome. Education does not just consist of what we learn in school. It continues throughout our lifetime.

The old adage: "Ignorance is bliss" would be better if it were rephrased to say: "Bliss is being educated."

No comments:

Post a Comment