“A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.” Oscar Wilde

"A man who does not think for himself does not think at all." Oscar Wilde

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Random Thoughts

Well its Monday and Mondays have always seem to carry some kind of dread, the weekend is over and so to is the fun for another week. That is a myth ... let the fun begin.

How many times have you heard someone say: "He's got to be crazy!" Perhaps you've even made that observation regarding someone on occasion. I am.

Once upon a time my wife and I lived the somewhat normal life. Then, we decided to get rid of the house, put everything in storage, buy an R.V. (recreational vehicle) and travel. Yeah, I one of those guys you cuss on a two lane road cause you can't pass me going up a hill. Now, I'm thinking of writing a book based on our experiences. I'm going to title it: "The Land of the Intellectually Challenged."

According the National Park Service nearly 2.3 million people visited that national treasure last year. They came to see the bison, elk, moose, bears, eagles and, of course, Old Faithful. The geyser that is somewhat predictable.

One summer season I worked in Yellowstone and it was great. But I was asked some strange questions though, like: "when do the Elk turn into moose?" Or, What time do they turn off Old Faithful?"

Of course questions like this demand to be answered right? So, I'd make up answers for these geniuses. "Oh, I'm not sure about this year but last year they turned into moose the first month after the full moon of the rutting season." What's really scary is they believed it.

At the visitors center near Old Faithful, the Ranger Station has all types of information about geysers. From stuff written for children to scientific papers explaining the phenomenon.

Now you simply have to picture this. Around the geyser basin are boardwalks. A favorite place to watch Old Faithful.

One afternoon two Rangers were working in the area. One ranger was in an area off limits to the general public but still within hearing distance. Now just before Old Faithful erupts there are usually a few spurts of steam and water. Those familiar with the geyser's patterns can usually judge when its going to go.

These guys had a great sense of timing. One ranger shouted to the other: "Ya ready?"
And the other bent over with is back to the crowd. "Okay, open it up." the one ranger yells and about that time Old Faithful erupts, water and steam rise nearly 100 feet in the air.

Then as it starts to fall off, the ranger yells again: "Shut it down." And the other ranger turns his imaginary valve. Its amazing, as the tourists are walking away to explore other park wonders I actually heard one telling his wife: "I told you Mildred, they had valves for that thing."

True story! But, would you believe the two rangers were reported and suspended. The government has no sense of humor. That is except for Congress and sometimes I believe reading the headlines about happenings in our nation's capital are better than the comic section of the newspaper.

Here's a quick thought ... the prefix pro means for and the prefix con means against. Like PROgress which means moving forward, doing something positive. Does that give you any clue for the definition of the word CONgress?

Another fun job was with a major airline. Now you'd think people who fly all the time are somewhat sophisticated. Not true!

One night I was making a reservation for a lady who knew exactly what she wanted including the flight times and flight numbers. After I made the seat assignment for her and informing her of the seat number she told me she could not sit there because it was next to a window. Of course, with the intensive training I received from the airline I began to question if she had a fear of heights or of flying. After several questions she finally told me: "I'm having my hair done the morning of my flight and I certainly don't want to sit next to a window."

Hmmmm ... lets see ... will the pilot open that window for fresh air at 35,000 feet while traveling at 300 miles an hour?

And let's not forget the wizards at home with their computers. Another stint I undertook was doing technical support for a major communications company.

A customer called in having internet problems. After trouble shooting for some time I had the individual change a few settings and it was necessary to lock in the changes. "Okay, now just hit any key and let me know what happens." I told them.
A few minutes went past and I inquired: "What is it doing?" I was not ready for the response. "I'm having a problem," they said. "I can't find the anykey."

And with that I will bid you a great week and leave with one final thought.

If you have 100 odds and ends on a shelf and remove 99 of them ... what is left? An odd or an end?

No comments:

Post a Comment